Monday, January 22, 2018

Word of the Year

I've never been one to do something just because everyone else is, however lately I can't help but notice everyone sharing their word for the year throughout my social media outlets. Usually it takes me a season, two, or maybe more before I'm catching up with what the cool kids are doing. I see people mentioning their word for the year on Instagram. Friends on Facebook are mentioning which word they chose to focus on this year. I can't help but think "should I have a word for the year too?" It certainly can't hurt. So why not! After just a little thought, I chose my word for the year. Better late than never I suppose. My word for 2018 is patience.

... patience is a work in progress ...

I love the idea of picking a word for the year that you can focus on all year long. If I can have something to continually work on through the year, I'm up for that challenge. The great thing about choosing a word for the year is, you can't really go wrong. Just choose something that you're struggling with at the moment, and that is probably your word.

Our culture tends to be one of instant gratification, so patience goes against the grain in that sense. We want our fast food faster, our kids potty trained sooner, our day to run smoothly, and just about any other thing we want to go our way. I love the idea of patience playing into everything throughout the day. Mainly, am I keeping a good attitude and loving others while waiting for something?

Patience is necessary for all parts of life. Driving your car? Patience. Grocery shopping? Patience. Dealing with whining children? Patience. I love how patience applies to every aspect of life, and let me tell you I find myself thinking of my word all throughout the day. I struggle with patience on a daily basis, but having it as my word is making me much more aware of trying to be patient in everything I do. Maybe I should have chose an easier word... like chocolate.

Do you have a word for the year?

I would love to hear...
What word did you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment